Welcome To The Show!
2017 marks the 50th year that the Santa Monica Cat Club will hold its annual cat show. We are thrilled to announce that we will be holding two shows this year. The first will be held on the fifth weekend of April on the 29th and 30th at the Fairplex in Pomona, CA. The second show will be held this coming fall. Check back soon for updates regarding our fall show.
The Fairplex is located at 1101 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA 91768. This show will be in our traditional large format with many vendors, much more to see and feline rescue cats looking for a forever home. Check our Show Details page for more information including directions to this show.
The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA), the world’s largest and most prestigious feline registry of pedigreed cats sanctions our show. CFA recognizes 41 different breeds of cats of which most will be present at the event. Ten of CFA’s top judges will be brought in from across the country to judge the cats and ultimately determine which cats are Best in Show.
You will be able to see cats of all varieties include ones with folded ears, curled ears, long hair, short hair, wavy hair, curly hair and No hair! You will see breeds like Persians, Siamese, Abyssinians, Somalis, Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, Maine Coons, Egyptian Maus, Tonkinese and Burmese. You will meet the people who raise these wonderful cats and learn all about the breeds they work with. If you are looking to acquire a pedigreed cat or kitten, you can make contacts with reputable breeders and possibly purchase one at the show.
The cats in competition are divided into five different groups or classes:
- Kitten Class - Cats whose age ranges from 4 to 7 months. These cats are not fully developed and therefore may not completely meet their respective breed standard. A breed standard is a set of ideal physical requirements for a given breed and breeders select their show cats to best meet those requirements.
- Championship Class - Cats who are 8 months or older and are still able to reproduce. These cats are considered fully mature and are expected to meet their breed standard completely.
- Premiership Class – Cats who are 8 months or older and have been spayed or neutered. These cats are often retired breeding cats who are excellent examples of their breed.
- Veteran Class – Cats who are 7 years or older. These cats are usually retired show cats who, in spite of their age, continue to be outstanding examples of their breed.
- Household Pets – These are random bred cats who are 4 months or older. This class of competition is particularly fun for new exhibitors as the cats are not judged to a breed standard but rather on their intrinsic beauty, personality and grooming. This is an excellent way to experience exhibiting cats and learn more about the cat fancy. This level of competition is open to any cat that is in good health (no signs of fleas, ear mites, etc.) and has Not been declawed.
For more information about showing your cat in Household Pets class, please contact our Entry Clerk.
For those looking for that special cat related item, the show hall provides a swap meet atmosphere. You will find hundreds of items for cat lovers including cat decorated t-shirts, personalized food and water bowls, exquisite handcrafted jewelry and more. You will also find a vast array of specialty gourmet foods, treats, litters, grooming supplies, cat trees and toys.